As a leader in education, honoring Hispanic Heritage month is much more than simply curating culturally themed social media posts, it’s about meeting the needs of the community!
Celebrated between September 15th to October 15th, Hispanic Heritage Month is more important than ever as the growing Latinx community makes up 62.1 million of the population, according to the 2020 census. 77% of the 5 million English language learners are Hispanic, making accessibility factors like the quality of translation, district demographics, website content translations, and diverse community needs essential to ensuring no student or family is left behind. Celebrate the rich cultures of the Latinx diaspora this month and every month by supporting the diverse needs of the community to further elevate and unite your district.
Latinx Heritage Resources:
- Congress, T. L. of, Administration, N. A. and R., Humanities, N. E. for the, Art, N. G. of, Service, N. P., Institution, U. S. S., & Museum, U. S. H. M. (n.d.). National Hispanic American Heritage month 2022. National Hispanic American Heritage Month 2022. Retrieved September 14, 2022, from https://www.hispanicheritagemonth.gov/about
- Moll-Ramirez, V., Alfonseca, K., Lopez, P. L., & Cruz, C. (2022, January 15). Latinx? Latino? Hispanic? A linguistics expert explains the confusion. ABC News. Retrieved September 14, 2022, from https://abcnews.go.com/US/latinx-latino-hispanic-linguistics-expert-explains-confusion/story?id=82273936
- NW, 1615 L. S., Suite 800Washington, & Inquiries, D. 20036USA202-419-4300 | M.-8.-8. | F.-4.-4. | M. (2020, August 11). Latinx Used by Just 3% of U.S. Hispanics. About One-in-Four Have Heard of It. Pew Research Center’s Hispanic Trends Project. https://www.pewresearch.org/hispanic/2020/08/11/about-one-in-four-u-s-hispanics-have-heard-of-latinx-but-just-3-use-it/
- Hispanic-Latina/o/x… – Santa Barbara Unified School District. (n.d.). Www.facebook.com. Retrieved September 15, 2022, from https://b-m.facebook.com/sbunified/photos/a.283688871781236/2102896859860419/?type=3&source=48
- Chavous, K. P. (n.d.). How Schools Can Better Serve Hispanic And Latino Students. Forbes. Retrieved September 15, 2022, from https://www.forbes.com/sites/stopaward/2021/12/16/how-schools-can-better-serve-hispanic-and-latino-students/?sh=16bb8ca17a80
- UnidosUS. (n.d.). Education. UnidosUS. https://www.unidosus.org/issues/education/
- US Census Bureau. (2018, January 19). School Enrollment of the Hispanic Population: Two Decades of Growth. The United States Census Bureau. https://www.census.gov/newsroom/blogs/random-samplings/2017/08/school_enrollmentof.html
- Bureau, U. C. (n.d.). National Hispanic Heritage Month: Sept. 15-Oct. 15, 2022. Census.gov. https://www.census.gov/newsroom/stories/hispanic-heritage-month.html
- Hispanic Heritage Month | PBS Specials. (n.d.). Hispanic Heritage Month | PBS Specials. Retrieved September 15, 2022, from https://www.pbs.org/specials/hispanic-heritage-month/
- Fonseca, E. (2020, November 6). Brazil: Latinx or not? The Phillipian. https://phillipian.net/2020/11/06/brazil-latinx-or-not/
- Borge, J., & Vincenty, S. (2021, June 7). Everything to Know About Hispanic Heritage Month. Oprah Daily. https://www.oprahdaily.com/life/a28134135/hispanic-heritage-month/
- Vincenty, S., & Marlys, M. (2022, July 26). Hispanic Heritage Month Is Almost Here. Oprah Daily. https://www.oprahdaily.com/life/g36651645/hispanic-heritage-month-activities/
- Cocking, L. (n.d.). The Museo Nacional de Antropología’s 5 Must-See Exhibits. Culture Trip. https://theculturetrip.com/north-america/mexico/articles/the-museo-nacional-de-antropologias-5-must-see-exhibits/