A school logo is an important visual representation of a school’s identity and values, showcasing what your school stands for to the community and beyond. Your logo is found on just about anything- from uniforms and office items to apparel, so you will want to be sure to get it right! Here are some best practices that schools can follow when going through the logo design process:
- Reflect the school’s mission and values: Prior to beginning the logo design process, it’s pivotal to understand what the school stands for. Ensure that the school’s mission and values are well defined so that these can be factored into the logo design.
- Stay simple: A logo should be easy to recognize and stand out in the audience’s mind. Think bold and simple rather than complex designs- a logo with a lot of detail can look overwhelming and be complicated to scale down to smaller sizes. .
- Select fitting colors: Color plays a vital role in developing brand identity. Choose colors that demonstrate the values of the school to create a sense of harmony and school pride. Blue, for example, is a color that represents values like trust and loyalty. Keep in mind that a logo with too many colors can be too busy for the eye, making it tricky to replicate in different formats.
- Consider the audience: The logo should attract the school’s target audience, which includes students, parents, and school employees. Consider using images, themes, or elements that resonate with this audience.
- Test it out: If you have the time, test the logo mockup with a focus group of key communicators to get the buy-in with your target audience. This will ensure that the new logo accurately reflects the identity and brand of the school.
- Make sure your logo is scalable: The logo will need to fit on a variety of different materials ranging in size, from small office items to large step and repeats for events. Because of this, you will want to be sure that the logo is easily scalable.
By following these best practices when designing your school logo, your results will reflect the identity and values of the school and community. Need more guidance on getting the perfect school logo? Subscribe to our blog at the bottom of our homepage and download our free guide to in-depth logo strategy.